Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Jet Lag



I am now only, too, familiar with this term.

Jet Lag:
noun--

temporary disruption of the body's normal biological rhythms after air travel through several time zones.

Based on the Random House Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2010.

jet lag also jet·lag (jět'lāg')
n. A disruption of bodily rhythms caused by high-speed travel time zones typically in a jet aircraft.

Not that I don't appreciate being able to see my wife when I want, but the fact we don't have the speeds of "Kittyhawk" is just astounding. But I always seem to be swimming against the flow of time-zones.

I departed Tulsa International and arrived at one of the best run air ports I have been to--Denver International. Then onto Vancouver and after 17 hours there I arrived in Beijing some 14 hours later. Three days travel to go completely around the Siberian Peninsula, the
"Kamchatka Route," to just hug the coastal areas until Beijing came into view. There was a perfectly straight shot across the Pacific that probably could have reduced flight time by 5 hours... So why do pilots fly the longest routes?

According to
http://brasilmagic.wordpress.com/2010/05/21/the-truth-about-being-a-pilot-flying-internationally/

They were not becoming lagged because they were flying in the correct direction--west to east.

Wiki Answers stated this:
"You can fly across the Pacific Ocean. You may fly from California to Hawaii and from there to Tokyo if you would like to spend a lot of time flying over the Pacific Ocean but direct flights from North America to Asia fly over the arctic region because it is a shorter route that takes less time and fuel and is therefore less expensive."

Does this mean that it is the equivalent of Skyway Robbery? Are the Airline hurting for revenue so much that for the fewer dollars going from Tulsa to Beijing directly, it would under cut their bottom line which is to become fabulously wealthy and too good to share better treatment for patrons loyal to their airlines?

Nako on ASK commented that distance is ultimately the factor in which way a plane will fly -- flights from East Asia to the US are likelier to fly over the Pacific because it's shorter to go that way, but from the Middle East, they'll go over the Atlantic.

I know there is a god of the flight routes because even though I returned the "Kamchatka Route," It was one day, because I was not fighting the spin of the earth.

Refer to picture number 2

If anyone can give me a site for explaining why it is more common for American-Asian travel to "Just" take the "Kamchatka Route," then please enlighten me... otherwise, I will be doomed as in the Inferno, "All hope abandon ye who enter here."

Through me you pass into the city of woe:
Through me you pass into eternal pain:
Through me among the people lost for aye.

Justice the founder of my fabric mov'd:
To rear me was the task of power divine,
Supremest wisdom, and primeval love.

Before me things create were none, save things
Eternal, and eternal I endure.
All hope abandon ye who enter here.

Such characters in color dim I mark'd
Over a portal's lofty arch inscrib'd:
Whereat I thus: Master, these words import.

And my next flight will simply take the "Danté Alighieri Route"

...instead.

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/abandon-hope-all-ye-who-enter-here.html

No comments:

Post a Comment